MJ Committee Minutes 16 Mar 2015

Minutes of Malvern Joggers Committee Meeting Monday 16th March   In Attendance: Carl Flint, Jerry Greer, Lynda Broadway, Peter Cowling, Julie Caseley, Denis Holly, Annie Robson   Apologies: Steve Roode, Charly Lowndes     CF went through minutes of the last meeting   Matters Arising from last meeting:   CF contacted Glos AAA to see if we can join for the purpose of being able to race in their league races but is was in fact Worcs AAA that we need to be affiliated with so CF to contact them to ask the same question   Curry Night at Vasai – agreed on date of  Friday 8th May. Lynda to organise.   Magic Roundabout – Lynda has found accommodation for Friday and Saturday 5th and 6th June at a cost of £170 per night for a bunkhouse that can sleep up to 19 people. If this was full it would cost just £9 per person per night. Families with children welcome. Pub 1km away. Darrens Dash is being run nearby on the Saturday afternoon if people want 2 races in the weekend. Committee asked to look at the website for accommodation and feedback to Lynda. Lynda has posted on facebook page to gauge  interest at this stage. www.maesylade.org   Carl, Lynda, Mike and Julie met with representatives from Malvern Community Hospital who were delighted that MJ's are supporting them this year. JC asked what happened to news coverage. AR explained that the article was sent in but never printed but sometimes it gets printed in Worcester News or online only.   Summer Runs:   CF went through suggestions of pubs made by members and the following venues have been decided for summer runs:   Starting 1st April   1st Weds of the month – British Camp – The Chase Inn 2nd Weds of the month – Swan at Newland 3rd Weds of the month – West Of England Car Park – The Brewers Arms 4th Weds of the month – Gullet Quarry – Plume of Feathers 5th Weds of the month as follows: 29th April – The Old Bush at Callow End 29th July – The Red Lion at Stiffords Bridge – Summer Barbecue 30th Sept – The Old Bush at Callow End   Weds 10th June is MJ's 10k race at Castlemorton Common Weds 22nd July will be MJ's Handicap Race at Gullet Quarry   Committee will be paying £20 to Retired Soldier pub in lieu of food prepared during February   CF put forward suggestion made by a member for a games/fun night to be held for families one Wednesday. To include activities such as sack race, obstacle course etc. To include Junior joggers and children of members. LB agreed happy to be involved but would need to be assisted by other members to  organise. Suggested date was 9th September.       Membership:   Currently have 110 members which is an increase on this time last year 34 new members so far.   LB requested that when people join they receive an acknowledgement email to confirm payment has been received. This currently only happens for new members but DH happy to email members who are renewing membership too from now on.   Discussion ensued around the EA membership year not lining up with MJ's which has caused a few issues for some members trying to enter races who are paid up but not yet registered with EA so not able to claim discount. It's a difficult situation to resolve as the EA rules are out of our hands but it was felt that there are some advantages for keeping our membership year dates as they are so things will remain the same for now.   DH announced that the bank account will be going online which will enable him to send info to JC more quickly about who is currently a member so she can allocate championship points accordingly.   Ongoing issues with people still entering races as a Malvern Jogger who are not paid up members. Committee to continue challenging anyone they know that does this particularly if the places are given by the club.   DH agreed to email all members who were paid up last year but who have not yet paid up this year to chase them up.     Macmillan 5k run:   We have received email from Fiona from Macmillan asking for help in identifying a flat 5k course in Malvern to use for the paint run she wants to organise. Committee felt there isn't anywhere suitable for this in Malvern due to the hills and the restrictive nature of the conservators. DH to respond accordingly     Finances:   Approx £4500 in bank currently but cheque for £900 still hasn't been given to Community First Responders which CF is chasing. Registering all members with EA will cost in the region of £1800. Surplus of approx. £500 last year was used to keep membership costs down this year which leaves around £1000 in bank. Decided to pay for St Johns Ambulance at the 10k race this year for medical cover.   JG asked for info on Junior Joggers accounts for last year but said that this year was all in order.   LB and AR asked committee their thoughts on investing in a camera for the club to take photos at events and for the press releases. AR explained that the photos currently used in press releases are fine but that it would be nice to get some photos for the new look website/blog of people actually running and doesn't have the equipment to achieve this. Committee discussed but some reservations made about cost and liability for camera. AR stated an SLR camera costs start from £270 upwards and a good quality but "ordinary" digital camera costs around £150 - £200. It was decided to get some advice from member Sharon White who is a photographer before making any further decisions.   Junior Joggers:   Junior joggers are going from strength to strength. A good number of joggers and volunteers are regularly turning up on Sunday mornings as reported by CF who has attended all but 1 session. He is happy to continue to support the Juniors. They requested to spend around £200 on some training ladders. Committee agreed that whatever money they generate from membership is their own to do with as they wish so they can go ahead.   10K Race:   JG reported that preparations are all going well. Permissions that need to be sought have been done with exception of car parking and showers which is being dealt with. Vasai happy to sponsor the race again. Medical cover with St Johns Ambulance this year. Fliers going to print this week. JG will put online entry onto website this week Cost of entry is unchanged from last year - £8 affiliated, £10 unaffiliated. On the night entry £10 affiliated and £12 unaffiliated.   Still need to decide the mementos Lucy Poole to be head marshall again Jonathon Green – course management     General:   JC has been contacted by Arthur Daley from Gloss XC league to ask about hosting the event again. Date has been agreed for Saturday 31st October. JC to let him know. Committee will need to promote event this year for participants and marshalls.   LB declared that at the end of 2015 she will be standing down from Social Secretary.   A.O.B   None   Date and Venue of Next Meeting:   29th June or 6th July 7.30pm.- to be confirmed.